Youth services and charities urged to respond to February consultation
The Treasury has initiated a spring review of programmes to support youth services. Led by DCMS (Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport) this will set policy direction for the out-of-school agenda, focusing on programmes currently in scope of DCMS, with a particular focus on levelling-up opportunities. This will also inform future funding including Youth Investment Fund and NCS programme, leading in to the next 3 year spending review.
DCMS is keen to hear from youth service providers and representative groups, and young people. A consultation pack with survey is available for youth services, to be completed by 2nd March. A digital questionnaire has been produced for young people also. Further engagement with the youth sector will be carried out with the support of the National Youth Advisory Board, managed by NYA.
Tony Gallagher, independent chair of the National Youth Advisory Board, said:
“We would welcome contributions from organisations and individuals willing to share their responses to the DCMS consultation, to help inform a sector-wide submission to government. A collective view will help strengthen youth services and support for young people over the next three years, as a critical part of Covid-recovery and beyond.”
Leigh Middleton, NYA CEO, added:
“We urge the youth sector to take part in this rapid review and respond to the government consultation. It is a short survey but the weight of experience and insights from the sector is crucial to inform government policies and future funding.
This is just one part of the picture, but an important first step, as we develop a 10-year strategy for youth services and out-of-school activities, where youth work helps transform young people’s lives.”
- DCMS Youth Sector Engagement Pack and questionnaire deadline 2 March
- DCMS youth engagement digital questionnaire deadline 28 February
- National Youth Advisory Board was established in 2018 as a policy forum for sector-wide context and insights from its constituent parts. It includes national and regional infrastructure bodies, funders, local government and DCMS representation. Its collective response to DCMS consultation will be published by NYA by April. Contact: email@example.com
- National Youth Agency (NYA) provides the secretariat for the National Youth Advisory Board. NYA is the national body for youth work in England (Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body).
- NYA in Conversation with Baroness Barran - 12 Feb 2021
- Treasury rapid review of government youth policies - 11 Feb 2021
- The Back Youth Alliance joint statement on the 2020 Spending Review - 25 Nov 2020